Supporting Your Body’s Natural Detoxification System
May 02, 2022
Every day, our bodies are exposed to toxins and undesirable contaminants that can affect our health and well-being. Fortunately, we have an internal detoxification system that helps filter and eliminate potentially harmful substances.
The liver is an essential part of this process. There are 2 major liver detoxification pathways: Phase 1 and Phase 2. Phase 1 reduces carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and toxins absorbed through the GI tract into intermediary substances. Phase 2 then takes these substances and changes them into water-soluble waste products that can be eliminated from the body.
There are also secondary detoxification organs. For example, the skin eliminates toxins through sweat, and the lungs do the same thing during respiration. The kidneys and liver eliminate toxins through urination and bowel movements.
So, how can you support your natural detoxification process?
- Minimize exposure to environmental toxins.
- Reduce daily stress.
- Stay well hydrated by drinking plenty of water (preferably filtered).
- Participate in regular exercise to facilitate detoxification with increased sweating and breathing rate.
- Increase vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that helps the body detox. Good sources of vitamin C include citrus fruits, tomatoes, leafy greens, and bell peppers.
- Increase B-complex with increased leafy greens, nuts, seeds, meats, poultry, dairy, and eggs.
- Increase sources of sulforaphane, a phytochemical found in broccoli, brussels sprouts, and cabbage. Studies have also shown sulforaphane to protect against cancer.
- Increase fiber, a powerful substance that supports detox by binding to toxins and eliminating them from the GI tract and ultimately from the body. Good sources of fiber include whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
Contact FitLife today about additional ways to support detoxification and the many other benefits of custom nutrition services.
Diet and Nutrients , Blog