It is very important when recording daily food intake to be as detailed as possible. Please keep the following guidelines in mind when recording:
1) Measure and weigh food items when possible. Use standard measuring cups, spoons, and/ or a scale. Please indicate cups, tablespoons, teaspoons, and ounces by the foods you consume.
2) Some items are not measured. Write the number of items eaten and size if large, medium, or small. Ex: 2 large eggs, 1 small banana, 3 lumps of sugar
3) Describe the food eaten and give dimensions. Ex: whole wheat vs. white bread, 2inch by 2 inch brownie with walnuts
4) Make sure to record condiments. Ex: salad dressing, catsup, sauces, gravy.
5) Describe cuts of meat, poultry, and fish. Ex: beef tenderloin, chicken breast, canned tuna.
6) Try to note brand names when possible.
7) Describe methods of preparation and if anything is added. Ex: fried, grilled, sautéed with butter.
8) Do not forget to record all snacks, desserts, and caloric beverages as well as diet sodas and water.
9) Indicate what time of day you eat your meals and snacks.
10) If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.